Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sausage and Egg Casserole


I have a roommate who loves having breakfast for dinner anytime she can get it. So today I decided to do just that for her. I wanted to make a meal that was non-traditional breakfast meal, not knowing many recipes for those types of meals I looked on Pinterest. I found this recipe for Sausage and Egg Casserole on Casserole Recipe.

In addition to the casserole I wanted to try and make one of the dishes I have a hard time making. This is going to shock some because it so simple to make but I have the hardest time making GRITS. Yes, I know it weird but for me getting them right is so hard, so I am attempting them today. These are the ingredients for the casserole and grits:

8 slices white bread, cut in cubes
1 pound bulk pork sausage, crumbled and cooked
1 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
10 large eggs
2 cups milk
2 teaspoons dry mustard
Salt
 Pepper
¾ cups of Grits
3 cups of Water
Butter
Along with these items from home:
Glass Pan
Bowl
Spatula
Measuring Spoons
Knife
Cutting Board
Whisk
Pot

Preheat the oven to 350°.

Then I began the casserole by cooking the sausage, then draining the grease off of it.






Set the sausage aside.

Cut the bread into cubes and place in the glass pan.





Then layer the sausage and cheese in the glass pan.





In a bowl mix the eggs, dry mustard, milk, salt and pepper. Then pour over the bread, sausage and cheese.








Place the pan in the oven for 50 minutes or until eggs are cooked.

The casserole will be golden brown when done.





For the grits (which I succeeded in make) should only take about 10 minutes.

First add Grits and salt to boiling water.






Reduce heat and cover for 5 minutes or until the grits reach the right thickness.





Perfectly made Grits.

To round out the meal I added some canned fruit.







Serve.







Enjoy!

The total cost:



Again I brought items for 2 meals at Walmart, so the total cost for this meal was: $16.09








3 comments:

Brittany Ann said...

I love any type of breakfast casserole and grits.

CA said...

That meal looks fabulous! I love breakfast for dinner too. We do pancakes sometimes and add different types fruit or even bacon in. Thanks for the casserole recipe.

Unknown said...

Huge lover of breakfast foods, no matter what time of day. Definitely will try this meal sometime.